Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 13:55:28 -0400
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.wjv.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmount Servers

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 09:55:29AM +0000, Rick Hamell thus spoke:

> >   Besides, Dell offers three years warranty on their components
> > standard, so why bother trying to replace something that is
> > covered under warranty? Pretty much everything is redundant
> > anyhow.

>  Warranties aren't any good if you're down... the point is to
> buy stuff that will minimize needing to use the warranty at all.
> I personally believe that none of the major manufacturers build
> good enough equipment. I much prefer to buy and piece it together
> myself.

I'm fairly impressed with the iNTEL 1100R server platform.  The
BIOS re-direct through the serial port on boot-up can be quite
handy for a light-out environment if you have a remote capable
power-switch too.

It's main target is for ISP hosting.  We used to always build our
own until we found that machine, and I think it will be our
standard platform.

--
Bill Vermillion -   bv @ wjv . com