Date:      Fri, 06 Sep 1996 14:58:31 +0200
From:      Arve Ronning <Arve.Ronning@alcatel.no>
To:        jonathan@cc.odu.edu
Cc:        arver@sn.no, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: could someone mail me...

Jonathan Sturges wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Sep 1996, Arve Ronning wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Sturges wrote:
> > >
> > > ...the atapi.[ch] and wcd.[ch] from 2.1.5R?
> > >
> > > I'm still wrestling with my stupid Hitachi CDR-7730 and was hoping that
> > > these files had been improved from those in 2.1R.
> > >

> > I was wrestling too -- with 2.1.5R -- until I found an ATA violation in atapi.c .
> > The following is the patch that made my CDR-7730 work (note that the probe was ok,
> > but I got '...: Device not configured' when I tried to 'mount_cd9660').
> > As you can see, the code in 2.1.5R is almost a year old so I don't think you will
> > win your wrestling match without this patch.
>
> Thanks for the patch!!  It worked great...

Great ! :-).

> Maybe they'll incorporate this into later versions of atapi.c, as long as
> it isn't hampering performance on better cd-roms.

I have submitted the patch (by send-pr), so let's hope it gets included :).
It won't reduce performance on faster drives.

Btw I'm a little surprised that so many ATAPI CDROM drives have worked so well
with FreeBSD. This is really a violation of the ATA spec in that the driver didn't
wait for the drive to signal 'ready' before sending a command packet to it !

So, don't blame the Hitachi CDR-7730. It works fine for me now. I did a small
experiment copying 16 Meg from a CDROM to disk and got an average transfer rate
of 500 kByte/s which is not so bad for a $65 drive (some of my old IDE disks didn't
do better :).

   - Arve