Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 13:42:55 -0800
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@osd.bsdi.com>
To:        dennis@etinc.com
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if_fxp - the real point

From: Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Subject: if_fxp - the real point
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2001 12:15:09 -0500

> I dont have time for weenie flame wars with people who are more interested
> in ignoring problems than fixing them.

Well, there are different kinds of weenie flame wars.  Some come from
people who are more interested in ignoring problems than fixing them.
Others come from people who are more interested in flaming about
problems than fixing them.  Both are equally destructive and fail to
address the real problem, which is fixing them.

This being a volunteer-driven project, each and every one of us here
is free to roll up their sleeves and fix a problem rather than simply
firing off emails in all directions taking people to task for failing
to do what we should be doing ourselves.  Arguments about lack of time
or energy also cut both ways - you can't argue that someone else
should find extra time to address an issue near and dear to your heart
out of one side of your mouth and then say that you yourself have no
time out of the other side.

> The point here seems very simple. The intel NICs are on a large number of
> MBs and the eepro100 is the most popular card on the market. So why is
> there vitually no maintainer for arguably the most important driver in the
> freebsd tree when there are maintainers for scads of obscure, must less
> used cards? freebsd touts a "core team"  which provides "direction"...does
> the "direction" include letting important drivers fall out of maintenance
> in favor of some crappy netgear card that chokes at 3,000pps?

You seem to be rather seriously deluded about the whole open source
process and I find that surprising given the length of time you've
been buzzing around here.  Core doesn't and cannot "demand" that some
maintainer come forward or insist that something be actively
maintained when there's nobody interested in doing so.  Perhaps if you
wanted to endow a "NIC maintainer's chair" at FreeBSD University here,
we could hire someone to do it, but otherwise we're just as subject to
the whims of volunteerism as you are, Dennis.  Why don't you volunteer
to do it?  If you argue that you don't have the time or interest, then
you've pretty much answered all your own questions and this entire
thread is particularly pointless.

- Jordan