Date:      Tue, 8 Sep 1998 18:42:41 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mike@smith.net.au (Mike Smith)
Cc:        doconnor@gsoft.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: 6 days to C-DAY

> > >  I can't say that support for audio CD piracy is necessarily right at
> > >  the top of the developers' prorities.  8)
> > Hey, I own all of the CD's in question :)
>
> Owning the disc does not grant you the right to copy its contents
> (which you do not own).

Actually, it grants you the right to make one copy for archival
purposes, and, under "first use law", may in fact grant you more
rights (as demonstrated by the video tapes available for rental
at "Blockbuster Video", despite clear markings on their packages
stating "not for rental or public performance").

> > I haven't encountered it doing anything else though, which is strange.
>
> Sounds like it's there to thwart your criminal activities then. 8)

Yeah, like the frequency differential in DAT was there th thwart
criminal activities.  That's why DAT is outselling all other recordable
audio media.

Oops.  Wait... DAT isn't even outselling blank 8-Tracks or Sony Minidisc...

PS: Reading audio data works just fine for My Toshiba 3401B,  a SCSI II
drive that I bought many years ago for just such an emergency...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.