Date:      Thu, 20 Jun 1996 18:43:26 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: When gcc-2.7.2 hits ctm

Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za> wrote:

>Wolfram Schneider wrote:
>>
>> I completely agree! The mailbombs cost me real money. If FreeBSD
>> continued sending mailbombs I will unsubscribe ctm-cvs.
>
>Do not worry. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but when a CTM
>delta larger than a certain size gets made, it is not mailed. Instead
>the owners are mailed with a request to get the file by other means.

Yes.  This size is configurable by the sender using a flag to ctm_smail.
Missing out on a delta will not cause any source tree corruption.  Deltas
will wait around until you get the missing one somehow (ftp, floppy disk, etc).

>[I just looked at the example in -current - any delta bigger than
>3Meg will not get mailed.]

Remember that the 3Mb file gets converted to 4Mb of mail.  This may be more
mail in one batch than modem users want.  If I got ctm-src at home instead
of at work, I'd be bitching about even the 880Kb files we got recently.

Perhaps the folks with really slow modems can convince Poul to split them
off into a sub-group that has a smaller upper file size limit.  Want to
conduct a ctm user survey, Poul?

Stephen.