Date:      Sat, 30 Mar 1996 18:43:26 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        Chris Cappuccio <ccappuc@satelnet.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   (was Re: <no subject>) actually it's about how to setup a printer and such

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Chris Cappuccio wrote:

> This could be the wrong list but.. ;)

This stuff belongs to the help list, since your question
doen't have to deal with FreeBSD-current developement.
It's a relatively simple configuration question ;-)

> I need a little help getting a hewlett packard deskjet 500
> printer working under -current (nothing to do with the fact
> that it's current or 2.1 or whatever, just that its kind of
> strange..)

So I assume, reading the fine FreeBSD manual, is also a bit strange
for you ?! Since it covers nearly all aspects of "how to connect a
printer to a FreeBSD system.

> I can't get he baud rate adn such set correctly

Well, you have to set the line discipline on both ends correctly.
A Deskjet is capable of printing up to 19200 Bauds (dog slow),
so I recommend you to use a parallel interface instead (if you
can).

> in printcap

A printcap manual page is part of the Operating system ;-)

mumbo|dumbo|HP DeskJet 500:\
	:lp=/dev/cuaa1:\
	:br#19200:\
	:ms=cs8,-parenb,crtscts,-istrip,opost,onlcr:\
	:sd=/var/spool/djet500/:\
	:lf=/var/spool/djet500/log:\
	:crnl:\
	:mx#0:\
	:sh:\
	:sf:

Don't forget to switch the DeskJet via jumpers to:
8 Bit, No parity, 1 Stop Bit, 19200 Baud

Then you need a proper serial cable... I hope you have a
correct one suitable for you printer...

> and once I do, how would I print from applications such as umm netscape or
> something.. (ghostscript PS-->PCL?) .. hewlett pakards support goes
> as far as to tell me that they dont reccomend their prindeters
> for use in a unix environment and that they offer no assistance in
> doing so..heh..

Then you need apsfilter 4.9.3. It's in the ports collection.
It let's you print nearly _everything_ ... SETUP creates needed
printcap settings. They only need a bit finetuning.

Remember ... if you print binary data, then XON/XOFF handshaking
isn't sufficient, then you need crtscts hardware flow control.
Otherwise you'll get garbage ;-))

BTW, the above suggested ms (mode settings) in printcap enables
opost and onlcr ... this isn't needed with apsfilter, since it
converts every supported file type (many ;-) to PS and this is
filtered through gs ... gs of course knows to give the printer
the proper bits and bytes ;-))

Have fun ...

	Andreas ///

- --
andreas@knobel.gun.de         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         $$  Support Unix - aklemm@wup.de  $$
pgp p-key  http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu/~bal/pks-toplev.html  >>> powered by <<<
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Printing/aps-491.tgz  >>>    FreeBSD <<<