Date:      Mon, 20 Mar 2000 00:55:25 -0800
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Cameron Grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestions for improving newpcm performance?

[snipping]

Cameron Grant wrote:

> to my knowledge, midi is the only functionality missing.  also, multiple
> opens of /dev/dsp are not yet implemented.  both will be soon.

	I think someone else already responded to this point. You can check the
archives for more discussion.

> i, and others, will want to
> see code, not promises.

	Which, I think, is exactly what the current voxware users are saying.
The promises about the additions/improvements to (new)pcm have been
going on for a year or more. This is the second round of removing the
voxware drivers before the new stuff is ready. I would think that the
PTB would have learned from the last round of hue'ing and cry'ing that
the transition would have been much easier if the new functionality had
been added first.

	Far be it from me to stand in the way of progress, but it would be nice
to _see_ some progress first. Don't get me wrong, I know the new stuff
is going to be cool, I know that that people working on it are working
hard, and I appreciate their efforts. But it seems that some involved in
the project are hell bent on getting rid of voxware, for better or
worse. It would be nice if there were more of a spirit of cooperation.
(Yes, I know all the arguments for removing the "stale" code, but I
don't buy them, not yet. See archives for more.)

Doug
PS, can we stop naming things "_new_foo"? There are two problems with
that. First, in 6 months it won't be new anymore. Second, what do you
call the next step in evolution? newnewpcm? :)
--
"While the future's there for anyone to change, still you know it seems,
 it would be easier sometimes to change the past"

     - Jackson Browne, "Fountain of Sorrow"