Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 17:57:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        craig@seabass.progroup.com (Craig Shaver)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GNU binutils port

> > 2.6.3 may be "old hat", but it works.  I remember being laughed at for
> > sticking with 1.39 while the world was wailing and gnashing it's teeth
> > over 2.2 and the grief there.  If it's 2.8 before the major problems are
> > fixed, I can't see us losing too much sleep 8)
>

> I moved to 2.7.2 on solarais because people said 2.6.3 was buggy!  What's up!

With software in general, just because a version is more recent doesn't
make it less buggy.  Are you talking about X86 Solaris or Sparc?  It
depends on the platform which version is more or less buggy.  It must
be a nightmare for the NetBSD team!!!

> btw, I have not tried c++ (g++) on freebsd, does it work?  Are there any
> problems with linking?  Dynamic libraries?  Compiling STL?  Should I consider
> FreeBSD a viable platform for applications development using c++?  Motif?

c++ works, dynamic libraries (libg++) work, Motif works.  Don't listen to
the political trolling that has happened on Usenet.  STL is still problematical,
(I think) and given that you use 2.7.2 gcc/g++, you'll be trading one set of
bugs for another -- guaranteed!!!  Maybe we are being too conservative,
maybe not???

> Would I be better off concentrating on Linux, and waiting for FreeBSD to
> catch up?

Hmmm...  Only you can decide that.

John
dyson@freebsd.org