Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 08:27:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rich Wales <richw@webcom.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1-STABLE kernel with 4.1-RELEASE userland?

I decided yesterday to try cvsup'ing from 4.1-RELEASE to 4.1-STABLE.

I started out with just the kernel.  After making and installing a
4.1-STABLE kernel and modules, I rebooted.  Assuming the new kernel
worked, I planned to proceed with updating my userland stuff.

Everything seemed to be OK after booting the new kernel, until the
system got to my firewall (ipfw) rules -- all my "ipfw add" commands
failed.

I then tried to mount a CD.  The "mount" command succeeded, and "df"
showed the mounted CD, but I couldn't see any files on the CD, and I
couldn't "umount" the CD.

I brought the system back down and went back to my 4.1-RELEASE kernel
and modules, and it's working fine now.  I never did get around to
updating any of my userland code, of course.

Does this sound like expected behavior?  I would have thought that
a 4.1-STABLE kernel (and modules) would still be compatible with the
4.1-RELEASE userland binaries; is this not the case?  Did I do some-
thing obviously wrong here?

FWIW, before compiling a 4.1-STABLE kernel from the cvsup'ed source,
I removed my old kernel compilation directory and did everything from
scratch ("config", "make depend", and "make").

Rich Wales         richw@webcom.com         http://www.webcom.com/richw/