Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:09:26 +0100
From:      "Julian Stacey Jhs@jhs.muc.de" <jhs@jhs.muc.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: One thing linux does better than FreeBSD...

BTW, for anyone wanting to start a fresh similar thread, we have
	 advocacy@freebsd.org
but as it's here for now:

"Ras-Sol" wrote:
> Am I the only one who thinks that he's just too cute?
> I mean- I view FreeBSD as a potent force that follows it's directives with
> razorlike precision and bleeding speed.
> Somehow this is not embodied by a "cute" daemon.
> I mean he IS a daemon!
> Come on!
> I've got a few GD friends, I'll sic them to work on a MEANER version...

We can have multiple T shirts: each can wear what he feels goes well locally,
but please let's not use a meaner Chuck for general use EG CDs.

A plump penguin gives no offense (herrings excepted ?), but a
Daemon/Demon/Devil is in comparison a bit of a marketing own goal.
We're stuck with it now (from processes, & promoting BSD with Chuck
so long); most non BSD people dont care, but some react negatively,
& sharpening Chuck would be a deterent to some non BSD potential
converts.

A cdrom burner software package that runs on MS/Wincrap, has a `sharp'
red demon on the box holding a bolt of lightning.  At first glance it
looks as if it might be a BSD product, thankfully it's not:  A daemon like
that would be an impediment at customer presentations, when telling people
we intend to install BSD (CD in hand, Chuck prominent).

A graphic of a daemon trident stuck in a penquin would alienate some Linux
people, but a graphic of a penguin & a Chuck co-operating, jointly
pulling out a fishing net, full of greenback fish labeled
"MS" might make a good poster for joint marketing/promotion.

Presumably it's cheaper to manufacture stuffed penguin mascots,
than Chuck's ? no ears, no real leg, no trident, ...
& easier to prop up on exhibition stands without falling over.
Penguin mascot has enough advantages over Chuck already !

Julian
-
Julian Stacey     Unix Consultant - Munich Germany     http://bim.bsn.com/~jhs/
        Considering Linux ?     Try FreeBSD with 4200 packages !
 Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Kau/Schnupftabak probieren !