Date:      Mon, 1 Aug 2011 09:29:49 +0200
From:      Kees Jan Koster <kjkoster@gmail.com>
To:        Tiernan Messmer <tiernan.messmer@gmail.com>
Cc:        pieter@degoeje.nl, freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Java Segfault with

Dear Tiernan,

>> Thank you for the suggested fix. Other than running Minecraft, do you =
have any way to reproduce this?
>=20
> I've only encountered it running Minecraft, but I'm pretty sure that =
anything heavily using libz in a similar fashion (Java or otherwise) =
would trigger it because (see below)

Or encode PNGs, as my code does. :)

>> Also, can you please dig a little to find where you found this? I'd =
like to file a bug report for this. If you can't there is no man =
overboard, but I like to be thorough.
>=20
> After a quick Google I found the source of the patch - =
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D154073&cat=3D =
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D154073&cat=3D>; - Although =
the fix was actually for the same bug in perl, not Java, hence my =
comment above.
>=20
> By the looks of it that patch has been MFC'd to 8-STABLE as of the =
21st of July.

Thank you for looking this up for me.

I installed an 8-STABLE with the fix last night. Interestingly, this =
also resolves a problem where I would see excessive CPU usage on the PNG =
encoding process. Likely the segfault is related to high CPU usage.

I cannot say for sure that this is the case, though. I did a full world =
install.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
+31651838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so =
full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry =
Pratchett