Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2021 20:28:37 +0000
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@freebsd.org>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] making /bin/sh the default shell for root

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 10:36:45AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> Hello,
>=20
> TL;DR: this is not a proposal to deorbit csh from base!!!
>=20
> For years now, csh is the default root shell for FreeBSD, csh can be conf=
using
> as a default shell for many as all other unix like settled on a bourne sh=
ell
> compatible interactive shell: zsh, bash, or variant of ksh.

Think we should switch in 14+.

My main argument is that shell one-liners in documentation are almost
always written in Bourne syntax.  I believe the fact that we're an
outlier is confusing the sort of new users we hope to attract with
thinks like Raspberry-pi and cloud images.  As a long-time user, it even
trips me up when I do some work on a FreeBSD box after spending most of
my time on other systems.

-- Brooks

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK

--/NkBOFFp2J2Af1nK--