Date:      Tue, 11 Nov 2003 03:33:07 -0800
From:      "Ralph F. De Witt" <ralphdewitt@charter.net>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Preinstall Questions?

On Tuesday 11 November 2003 01:48 pm, you wrote:
> Ralph F. De Witt wrote:
>

>  >unkitty# cvsup /usr/local/etc/ports-supfile
>  >Cannot get IP address of my own host -- is its hostname correct?
>  >
>  >When I configured the network. I configured for DHCP and then filled
> in the
>  >machine name unkitty as host and filled in a fictitous ralphfdewitt.org
> as
>
> This can cause problems with a few things if
> FBSD is unable to resolve a name.  Good news:
> you can fake it out.
>
> Put this in /etc/hosts:
>
>                     the.ip.of.unkitty       unkitty.ralphfdewitt.org
> unkitty
>
> And make sure that /etc/resolv.conf is configured
> to check the hosts file prior to checking the name
> service....
>

> HTH,
>
> Kevin Kinsey
> DaleCo, S.P.
Kevin:
Thank you for your response to my cvsup problem. Lute has also given me a
response that has worked for me. If you do not mind I am going to put your
solution on hold for a short time while I try to get the Linux EXT2 data
partition mount. Right now the mounting of that partition is really needed.
However I will comeback to your solution. I think that there may be something
not correct with the networking. It is working but seems to be having a
harder time than with other Linux distributions. Thanks for your help with
this matter.
--
Ralph