Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:38:58 -0700
From:      Greg Bonett <greg@bonett.org>
To:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: upgraded to 7.3 - trouble with gstripe and geli

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 21:43 +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 09:04:23PM -0700, Greg Bonett wrote:
> > hi,
> > I just upgraded to freebsd 7.3 on amd64 and I'm having trouble attaching
> > a geli device.  I am using gstripe to created a striped array with two
> > disks and then using geli to create an encryption layer on top of it.
> > It was working with 7.2, but after an upgrade I'm running into this
> > error when I try and attach the geli device:
> >
> > #geli attach -k key.file /dev/stripe/private
> > geli: Cannot read metadata from /dev/stripe/private: Invalid argument.
> >
> > also gstripe dump gives:
> > #gstripe dump /dev/stripe/private
> > Can't read metadata from /dev/stripe/private: Invalid argument.
> > gstripe: Not fully done.
>
> You should apply 'gstripe dump' to stripe components, so in your case to
> ad8s2 and ad12s2.

ah yes that seems to give the correct data.

> If 'geli dump /dev/stripe/private' doesn't show anything, try dumping
> the last sector:
>
> 	# dd if=/dev/stripe/private count=1 iseek=3760270079 | hexdump -C | head

offsite# dd if=/dev/stripe/private count=1 iseek=3760270079 | hexdump -C
| head
1+0 records in
1+0 records out
512 bytes transferred in 0.000313 secs (1635555 bytes/sec)
00000000  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
|................|
*
00000200

hmm, I'm not sure what i was supposed to see there, but I'm assuming
it's not all zeros.  Does this mean I wrote over the geli meta data?
Does this make my data irrecoverable even if i have the key and password
and could probably figure out what encryption algorithm I was using? (I
don't have the .eli file for this device) What's in there that's
required to reconstruct the data?  These are just backups, so I won't be
too heartbroken if it's gone.  If I had that .eli file, would this just
be a matter of "geli restore"?

Also, it looks like there is data at the beginning of
the /dev/stripe/private device but not at the end.  (last 80 blocks are
all zeros)  Is this a clue as to what I did to destroy my meta data?

Thanks for the response.