Date:      Sun, 24 Dec 2023 10:14:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        d@delphij.net
Cc:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Proposal: Disable compression of newsyslog by default

> On 2023-12-23 10:17, Ceri Davies wrote:
> > I really don?t like the idea of adding flags that make the program ignore a config file.  I also think this is premature until ZFS installs are default on all architectures.
> >
> > However, if you must (and I see you have) change this, please don?t call the option ?legacy? as we wish to deprecate other behaviour in the future or add additional compression algorithms.
> > Perhaps it could be called ?useconfig? or something that describes what it actually does.
> >
> > Also, could you please update the manage commit to note the change in 15.0 because not everyone reads commit logs and we may end up violating the PoLA twice otherwise.
>
> Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the commit. I want to clarify
> that my recent change does not alter the existing behavior of the code.
> In fact, the current legacy test cases still pass successfully. The
> modification I introduced primarily adds the option to override the
> default compression setting.
>
> Regarding your suggestion to rename the ?legacy? option, the term was
> chosen to reflect its purpose ? to preserve historical behavior while
> acknowledging that it may be phased out in the future. Adding new
> letters to the configuration format isn't scalable and lacks
> flexibility.

The words "new, old, legacy, etc" are poor adjectives as they are
time variant.  Use of "legacy" isn't scalable and lacks flexibility too,
what do I call the next legacy move?  Legacy-legacy?  Please try
to use time invariant nouns when picking option names.

> Especially, consider an application that install their own
> newsyslog.conf.d configuration, in which case the configuration is
> overwritten during upgrades, or has to have some way to solve merge
> conflicts, should they decide to add new log files, etc.  There's no
> practical reason for users to adhere to a specific compression method
> that the application writer told them, because the administrator have
> better idea about what compressor is more suitable for their situation.
>
> I'll add a note to the release notes later, but rest assured that there
> is no PoLA violation yet.

Actually I think there is.  When admin A comes along and turns on
this global "do not compress" flag in /etc/crontab's invokation of
newsyslog then some time later admin B comes along and tries to fix
a full /var/log problem by working on /etc/newsyslogd.conf he pulls
his few grey remaining hairs out before he finds this "tweak" to
ignore what the config file is saying!  This POLA shall long outlive
your entry in the release notes for 15 and exist for ever.