Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 12:17:11 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@Glue.umd.edu>
To:        Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
Cc:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@masternet.it>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: editors

On Thu, 23 May 1996, Paul Richards wrote:

> > For beginners, newbie and rookie (as I am) I think the best solution is
> > uemacs...
> >

> I'm curious, what exactly is a newbie in this context, what sort of
> user group are we trying to win over?

As for me, Mike Smith defined it well enough.  Not someone new to
computers, instead, someone new to unix.  Someone who is trying to get
his first FreeBSD system to allow a new user, or some other task right at
the beginning of their unix experience.  I wouldn't suggest to anyone
that they stay with pico, but it lets people get their feet wet _before_
they get past their max frustration index and junk it all.

Hopefully, then they move to a _real_ editor, but they'll never get
started if they reach too high a frustration level too quickly, before
they get tempted by all the tools.  Lord knows I wasn't ever suggesting
that anyone subscribed to this list would use pico.

> --
>   Paul Richards. Originative Solutions Ltd.  (Netcraft Ltd. contractor)
>   Elsevier Science TIS online journal project.
>   Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
>   Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |