Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2002 08:37:31 -0600
From:      "Giles, George S" <george.giles@vanderbilt.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vinum Raid 5 Problem

My system has three identical disks. The following config does not
work:

drive d1 device /dev/da1e
drive d2 device /dev/da2e
drive d3 device /dev/da3e
volume myRaidFive
 plex org raid5 512K
   sd length 4g drive d1
   sd length 4g drive d2
   sd length 4g drive d3

The result of the config is:

3 drives:
D d1                    State: up       Device /dev/da1e
Avail: 4650/8746 MB (53%)
D d2                    State: up       Device /dev/da2e
Avail: 4650/8746 MB (53%)
D d3                    State: up       Device /dev/da3e
Avail: 4650/8746 MB (53%)

1 volumes:
V myRaidFive            State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:
8192 MB

1 plexes:
P myRaidFive.p0      R5 State: init     Subdisks:     3 Size:
8192 MB

3 subdisks:
S myRaidFive.p0.s0      State: empty    PO:        0  B Size:
4096 MB
S myRaidFive.p0.s1      State: empty    PO:      512 kB Size:
4096 MB
S myRaidFive.p0.s2      State: empty    PO:     1024 kB Size:
4096 MB

When I run newfs I get the following error:

newfs: /dev/vinum/myRaidFive: Input/output error

These drives make striped and concatenated logical volumes just
fine. I am using 4.4-Release.

Please advise.