Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:35:15 +0100
From:      "Barry Byrne" <barry.byrne@wbtsystems.com>
To:        "Ali Nasseh" <a_nasseh@yahoo.com>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: c shell

Ali:

Be default on FreeBSD, root uses the C shell. An ordinary user can typically
change his default shell using the chsh command. See the man page for more
details.

The prompt shown will not necessarily tell you what shell you are using as
it can be changed in most shells. Typically, # is used for root in any
shell, % is used in csh and similar shells such as tcsh, $ is used in the
Bourne and similar shells such as bash.

You can also typically create a new temporary instance of a shell by typing
the shell name, assuming it is in your path. You should be able to see your
default shell by typing something like: finger <username>. To see what shell
you are currently running, something like this could work: ps | grep `echo
$$`

If you like the C shell, you might want to investiate tcsh which has similar
systax but many more features. This is not installed by default on BSD, but
should be available in the packages/ports. For Bourne shell replacments, you
might want to investigate bash, ksh or zsh. All have much more features
while remaining broadly compatible with the Bourne shell.

Cheers,

Barry

--
Barry Byrne, IT Manager,