Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2017 10:43:31 -0300
From:      Mario Lobo <lobo@bsd.com.br>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [OT] Why did "enterprise" crap seem to win? (re: Virtualization,  Java, Microsoft, Outsourcing, etc.)...

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 21:55:36 -0700
Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org> wrote:

> > On 4 October 2017, at 21:29, Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
> >

> > Reason 3 - three! three reasons! - is social appeal. Just imagine
> > you're actually understanding your work, and you do it better
> > than others, then you're not a "team player", because you "make
> > the other branch offices look bad and lazy". That's why it is
> > not encouraged to improve things.
> >
> > Example from reality: I once worked for a shop where one person
> > got a high wage for creating timesheet templates. Manually. She
> > basically entered years, months, days and hours manually into a
> > PC as if it was a typewriter. With additional microformatting.
> > Every day. Every month. For years. When one of her coworkers
> > suggested to automate the task basically by piping the output
> > of "ncal" into a little awk script (he was a Linux person),
> > he got yelled at for being "hostile to coworkers" and "threatening
> > the staff". That's what you get when you use your brain.
> >
> > PC on, brain off.
>
> I have been in the programming and system development business since
> the mid 60's.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.
> Nothing is new other than the acronyms.  These reasons also hold for
> senior managers.  Every senior manager who was competent was fired
> for showing up the others.  The more competent, the quicker they
> vanish.  Once a manager who was rewarded with a trip (including
> family) to one of the Caribbean islands came back to go to jail for
> the illegal activities he did to win that award.  He also cost the
> company a fortune is lost revenue.  There are many other examples I
> have witnessed.  It will never change.
>
> -- Doug

Throughout my life, I can't even count how many times I saw this happen.

I started off with assembly programming on a TMS99/4A back in 1980
while attending Berklee. I had studied electronics outside of school
during the 8th grade so programming digital circuits was just a hop
away to my brain, and actually a relief not having to worry about
different voltage, resistance or current levels to put together a logic
board.

The music I wanted to make could never provide enough to feed my family,
specially here in Brasil, so the then starting IT market fell into my
lap like a glove.

Despite the fact that I could prove my time working with the IT field,
I always had trouble when the only papers I had to show was a
certificate in electronics and a music diploma, so I forced myself into
a post-graduate course in network management so I could have that paper
connection employers need as proof.

Anyway, I'm here basically to express the same feelings Carlos Gottberg
did on his post: of being grateful for being here, surrounded by people
that found pretty much the same hardships as you (even given the
differences in country, cultures and social upbringing) and chose to
stay (also pretty much) on the path they started off with.

It is an enormous relief to know you're all out there!
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."