Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2000 21:49:31 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: People running with LOCALBASE set to something other than /usr/local?

In list.freebsd-current Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:
 > In message <14141.967034676@axl.fw.uunet.co.za> Sheldon Hearn writes:
 > : On Wed, 23 Aug 2000 13:36:56 +0100, Konstantin Chuguev wrote:
 > :
 > : > Just wondering: what is the reason of using /opt instead of /usr/local,
 > : > apart from Solaris influence? Do you use /usr/local for anything?
 > :
 > : NetBSD uses /usr/opt .  It's a matter of taste.  :-)
 >
 > NetBSD uses /usr/pkg.

Just as a side note (I'm not a comitter)...

At the university we use  /rzdist/FreeBSD  for historical
reasons.  That directory is distributed via rdist to
several servers, and then exported via NFS to clients.
Of course, there's also  /rzdist/linux  and others.
/usr/local is only used for "real" locally installed
software.

It is true that there are quite a lot of ports that don't
support PREFIXes different from /usr/local correctly.
I know, I should have send-pr'ed all of them, but that
would have taken me several days...  I promise to do it
next time I stumble across some, I promise.  :-)

Even more off-topic:  On our Solaris boxes, we use /opt
for external packages (such as those that come from Sun
itself, like the compiler suite SUNWspro), and we use
/usr/local  for software that we install ourself manually,
i.e. not from a ready-made package.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany
Addresses will change soon!!  If in doubt:  www.fromme.com

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)