Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 21:35:19 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Replacing gcc as the system compiler (was Re: Fix for undefined "__error" and discussion of shared object versioning)

<<On Wed, 27 May 1998 22:56:47 +0200, Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> said:

> There is also what looks like a bug in handling of NULL - it doesn't
> allow the use of ((void *)0) as NULL for function pointers.

> I may remember the C standard incorrectly (I haven't looked it up),
> but I think it is required to.

As originally written, X3.159-1989 appeared to prohibit the behavior
you want.  I believe that this was the subject of an interpretation
ruling (since you ought to be able to use NULL in the context of a
function pointer regardless of its definition).  I don't remember what
the precise semantic result was, other than to allow the behavior you
want.

This is but one of the reasons I detest NULL....

-GAWollman