Date:      Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:36:40 +0200
From:      Siegbert Baude <Siegbert.Baude@gmx.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Best Installation Method?

Hi,
I fiddled around with FreeBSD the last week with several attempts of new
installations. Now I decided to reinstall everything from scratch and would
like to hear some comments which is the best way to do. What I want is an
uptodate stable system. What I have are two boot floppies, a lot of disk
space, but no CD-burner and a fast internet connection ;-)

The links on the FreeBSD-Homepage Newbies -> "Latest Mainstream release"
goes to a 3.4-Release. Isnīt 4.0 the latest stable Release or is 4.0 still
somehow experimental?
If 4.0 is what Iīm looking for, should I start with the Release or a daily
snapshot from ftp://releng4.freebsd.org ?
If snapshot, what must I write into the options in the install-menu to
install the latest snapshot per ftp?
If Release, should I only do a minimal install then pkg_add cvsupit.tgz,
with a "make world"? Or do a full install (X,developer, kernel sources,
(maybe all sources?)) ? How then to become uptodate: CVSup ?
When updating via CVSup should I then first do a "make world" and
afterwards a new kernel or the other way round? Iīm thinking about the
necessary shared libs. If I first update the libs will the old kernel and
apps still work? If I first update the kernel, will the kernel still work
if I give him new libs by "make world" ?
In general, is the ports collection also in the CVSup, or must I care for
the ports separate (if yes, how? Is there something like CVSup for ports?) ?

If you can give me some good hint for the what to do, now some questions
for the "how to":

Is it better to download all files on a DOS-Partition first and install it
from there? (In case something goes wrong, I donīt have to repeat the
download then). The problem is my primary DOS-partition is nearly full, and
the installation procedure wonīt give me access to DOS-partitions in
extended partition (the sub-partitions inside normally called logical
partitions). Also I didnīt manage yet to get the installation procedure use
any extended (logical) partition for FreeBSD. Isnīt FreeBSD able to handle
extended partitions? Is this only for the boot procedure? I read nearly all
the docs, but did find nothing about this!

A short overview of which tries I already passed and what happened:
Install by FTP 4.0-Release: The system worked, some problems with kde
(still no solution but didnīt work alot on them. What is the difference
between kde and kde-i18n?) and interrupt assigning PnP-Sound card (which
now works. I had to compile usb support also in the kernel to recognize the
system the usb using irq 9. without it irq 9 was assigned to the soundcard,
which didnīt work then). The problem which made me think I did something
completely wrong and should reinstall everything were about three or four
system crashes (instantaneous reboots) both from within the console and X
and also both with generic kernel and custom one. (No I donīt have a
SMP-System. Celeron 400, ASUS P2B, Elsa Erazor II, IBM IDE-drives. My
system works absolutely stable on all may other OS: Linux-Mandrake, BeOS,
Win98 (!!!) and WinNT)
So next try from scratch I did only a minimal install of 4.0-Release by
ftp, then pkg_add cvsupit.tgz (with everything except games) option outside
USA with all encryption options. Did a custom kernel, but networking was
broken then (NS lookup failures) . Tried make world only to hang within
compiling sshd, stating a syntax error, where I canīt find one (but I only
have small C abilities. I wanted a stable uptodate system, because I donīt
want to fiddle with C-code, I nearly hate this language (prefer reading
Suaheli printed on toilet paper ;-)) ).
Booting with generic kernel brought me back my network but also failed
doing make world with the same error.
As I also had a spontaneous reboot now, I want to know how to get an
uptodate system with as little as possible from the 4.0 Release but most
things out of 4.0-stable. And I want to do it from scratch, therefore this
posting :-)

So thatīs state of today, and I really would appreciate any comments.
If the crashes will reappear after I did what you suggest now, I will have
a closer look on them and post here to work about it. But until now I still
believe that the fault is on my side (the whole world appreciating the
stability of FreeBSD, it should work for me too, I think :-) )

Ciao
Siegbert

P.S.: there seems to be no lynx in the normal 4.0 Release. (Message:
couldnīt find package lynx) I had to install it from the ports collection.
Normal?