Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 1995 01:43:07 +0100
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   CD-1.1 & 1.7 Gig FS - Someone in Germany, preferably near Heidelberg ?

There's a guy with an installation problem 	`out of inodes'
his environ:
	1.7 G scsi
	cd 1.1
		(he told it 255 heads 63 sectors 214 cyls
	486 dx 33MHz
	adaptec 1542cf

	BTW linux, os/2, dos all run ok

I spent some time telling him to try:
first slowing the bus,

then
dd if=/dev/rsd0d of=/dev/null & see if it reports
34000 sectors
( also to check if freebsd can handle the

Then do fsck /dev/rsd0a ; fsck /dev/rsd0d

Then maybe assume 1.7G breaks freebsd-1.1, & lie to the installation,
about disc capacity, & go for a 1.3G file system (as my 1.4G was acceptable
to freebsd-1.1)

He's supposed to be an experienced unix guy i believe,
so i guess it was just an oversight that he tried
	fsck	<with no parameters, thus reading floppy etc/fstab i guess>
he noticed it accessed the floppy, & didnt guess to try
	fsck something	(like /dev/rsd0a)

As a last resort, I also pointed out the 2.0 CD-ROM was now available
from Walnut Creek, but that I couldnt remember when any large disc
file system problem may have been fixed.

anyway, if there's a friendly freebsd person nearer him than me in Munich,
he'd be grateful, (simply mail me your tel no, & i'll tell him when he
phones me next, so he can phone you, so you don't get a phone bill

He is German, so if a fellow national is willing for him to contact you,
he'd also probably be pleased to no longer have his ears assaulted by
my poor German pronunciation & grammar ;-)

He is:
Rudiger Studanski,  Haupstr 55 Heidelberg plz 69117
06221 12401 ab 20:30 privat buro (tagsuber darmstadt 06151 108303 0900-1900
Email ? ... No he doesn't have that ! (no provider & no freebsd to drive it)

Anyone feel like letting him phone you sometime ?

PS I wouldn't rush to suggest loads of things for me to ask him,
	I can't afford to phone Heidelberg for free remote debugs
	he really just needs a friendly _local_ FreeBSD guy,
	not me about 600 kilometers away.

PPS
(He got my name from cd-rom:/SUPPORT.TXT, where it clearly says
	COMMERCIAL SUPPORT, but he of course turned into yet another
request for free telephone support,
(Perhaps one day some real company near me (Munich) will start using FreeBSD,
(yup, I know `go out & promote it' is the answer :-)
---
Julian Stacey  <stacey@freefall.cdrom.com>,<jhs@regent.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
  ( <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de> is an intermittent phone link )