Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:19:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Daniel Berlin <dan@cgsoftware.com>
To:        kris@freebsd.org
Cc:        mirko.viviani@rccr.cremona.it, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   GDB 5

(I'm not on freebsd-hackers, i read it every few days through the web
interface. Too much mail already. So if you have a reply, be sure to cc
me).
Kris, you wrote
"
You're more likely to get an answer by asking the gdb developers on the
gdb "mlist" :-)
"
when asked about why GDB 5 doesn't have support for freebsd-elf.
Actually, he did, and we answered him, before he wrote here (IE a few days
ago).
The reason is that the patches against 4.18 you guys use were never
assigned to the FSF.  Or so, that's the reason i was given when i asked
the head maintainer.
I'm not here to get into any fights. I just maintain C++ support for GDB,
and use FreeBSD as my secondary platform, and my main gdb testing
platform (Since BeOS is my first platform).

On the bright side, i rewrote the patches (mainly trivial fixes to make it
work under 5.0), and save a few problems with shared lib support (it
thinks it's broken but it's really not), they work fine.
Hopefully, i'll get them into GDB 5.1.
I'll happily put them under BSD license as well, and submit them, if you
guys want them so you can have a working GDB 5.0 tree (I have the kernel
debugging support in there as well), when it comes out.

Since i use FreeBSD for almost all my gdb work, and i do quite a bit of
GDB work (as you would imagine, C++ support in GDB isn't up to where it
should be, i just took over a few weeks ago, and already made major
improvements), i would be sad to see the FreeBSD folks continue to
have to maintain their own set of patches to GDB for longer than
necessary. Just one less thing for you guys to worry about.

--Dan

PS On a random note, i tried to email obrien@freebsd.org (since that
was the address i see on checkins to gcc fixes) because DWARF2 debugging
info is broken in gcc without a very small change to freebsd's gcc config
file, but it bounced.

Can someone forward this part to him?