Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:51:01 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@squiz.co.nz>
To:        "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
Cc:        Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sshd

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Jeffrey J. Mountin wrote:
> >Other than that I've frequently run into situations where keepalives
> >had to be turned off.  In those cases ssh sessions invariably die and
> >their daemons have to be killed-off by hand (kill <PID>).  As it is
> >difficult to tell the original daemon from the child daemons it's also
> >easy to accidentally kill the parent.  If ssh is the only access you're
> >locked-out.  Easier and more consistent to use inetd where it's
> >available, IMHO and YMMV.
>
> Rarely have I seen hung sessions, even after being rudely disconnected
> by the IPS(s) I connect into.  Even then what's so diffifcult about
> killing the child?

I've had problems after having my modem drop and redial.  Mostly sessions
seem to survive this (with a fixed IP), but occasionally they haven't, and
I've been unable to create new connections to sshd until I've killed the
demon process of the crashed session.  This has happened to  me three
times, and in all cases I've had multiple sessions open and I've still had
a live connection which I've been able to use to retrieve the situation.
I can't say whether sshd recovers itself eventually, but it's not quick.

Andrew McNaughton