Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 2000 10:21:15 -0500
From:      "Kevin M. Dulzo" <kdulzo@caffeine.gerp.org>
To:        Graham Wheeler <gram@cequrux.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring kernel for ISA cards

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 12:59:14PM +0200, Graham Wheeler wrote:
> consequences was that changing the kernel config at boot time did not
> save the changes to the kernel permanently. Instead, it seems, these
> changes are supposed to go in /boot/loader.rc. The docs seem very sparse
> about all of this, unless I've somehow missed the relevant material.
>
> Now, I was told that the same commands can be used in the loader.rc file
> as are used in the configuration editor. However, it seems to me that
> this only holds for PCI cards. When I have tried to configure the IRQ
> for an ISA card, the loader has complained about a syntax error.
>
> I believe the command I used was:
>
> irq ed0 10

	The configuration commands go in /boot/kernel.conf. (Just
tested on 4.1-stable) and thats where they went in 3.x as well.

I'm not positive if the boot loaders are the same between 3.x and 4.x
but by default the loader does NOT read the kernel.conf file unless
it was installed by sysinstall in 4.x.  The syntax to enable it is
in the /boot/defaults/loader.conf and it is:
	userconfig_script_load="YES"

--
:Kevin M. Dulzo:ccna.ccda:freebsd:everything_else:
--eyes betray a soul and bear its thinking