Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 2014 19:04:03 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UEFI/CURRENT: vt() and nVidia BLOB: not working on nVidia GT 740M

--Sig_/lPJW20ZHSjkb+ZUwt7Ttg29

Am Thu, 18 Sep 2014 07:19:45 -0700
Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org> schrieb:

>=20
> On 09/18/14 04:18, O. Hartmann wrote:
> > Running FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #5 r271728: Thu Sep 18 01:18:25 CEST 2014 =
amd64 on a
> > Lenovo ThinkPad Edge E540 laptop with built-in nVidida GT 740M GPU (NV2=
08M) doesn't
> > bring up X11 even with most recent nVidia  BLOB 343.13.
> >
> > The system has been installed from a most recent FBSD CURRENT USB drive=
 image and uses
> > UEFI and newcons/vt(). IN UEFI Firmware, the primary GPU selected is th=
e nVidia GT
> > 740M in favour of the Intel iGPU HD4600 of the Haswell CPU.
> >
> > While the system works well with console only after UEFI boot, I can no=
t start X11
> > having driver "nvidia" enabled, the portion in xorg.conf reflecting thi=
s is as
> > follows:
> >
> > Section "Device"
> >          Identifier      "Card0"
> >          VendorName      "nVidia"
> >          BoardName       "GT740M"
> >          Driver          "nvidia"
> >          BusID           "PCI:1:0:0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > When starting X, the screen goes blank and black with a stuck mousepoin=
ter showing up
> > and a green (colour defined in my console) carret showing in the left h=
and upper
> > corner of the screen - and nothing happens anymore.
> >
> > Using driver "nv" from the regular xorg installation from the ports (ha=
ving set
> > WITH_NEW_XORG=3D          YES
> > WITH_KMS=3D               YES
> > WITH_GALLIUM=3D           YES
> > in /etc/make.conf) fails with the error, that the driver doesn't recogn=
ises the GPU
> > type.
> >
> > The only working solution is the very slow and unusable x11-drivers/xf8=
6-video-scfb
> > unaccelerated software framebuffer.
> >
> > I'd like to use the accelerated nVidia GPU with the BLOB as I do on all=
 other FreeBSD
> > boxes I use (systems still without UEFI and graphical vt()).
> >
> > What am I doing wrong here?
> >
> > Has someone successfully bootet FBSD CURRENT via EUFI and nVidia accele=
rated GPU via
> > nVidia's BLOB?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Oliver
>=20
> I'm using UEFI and the blob every day without issue. However, that is=20
> with an add-in card. It's possible that X11 or the nVidia driver is=20
> trying to reinitialize the card through the (potentially non-existant)=20
> video BIOS, which fails. Is there any option like "NoInt10" you can turn=
=20
> on in X configuration?
> -Nathan

I tried

Option "NoInt10"
Option "PrimaryInt"

both in all combinations possible without any success. It is good to hear t=
hat at least
one successful run of the BLOB with UEFI/vt can be reported, so the problem=
 might be of a
minor issue - hopefully.

The GPU is a dedicated PCIe GPU for the notebook, combined with the HD4600 =
which can be
used via nVidia's "Optimus" switching - if software supports it. In the UEF=
I, I selected
the nVidia dedicated GPU as the primary one.

The way the "dead" screen shows up reminds me of a dead end screen: the lef=
t-hand top
carret and the console's mousepointer (at the position it was on the consol=
e) look like
as the whole output is now delegated towards another output socket. The key=
board works
surprisingly NOT as expected, since I have to switch this Lenovo FN key for=
 Ctrl - which
then allows me to switch back to the console and terminate the X server or =
xdm.

I need to figure out what name's the sockets have (on the Dell Latitude I h=
ave, they are
called DPS-0 to DPS-2 for the internal display, the HDMI and the DisplayPor=
t socket and
VGA-0 for the VGA socket).

Will report back ...
Oliver