Date:      Fri, 28 May 1999 10:29:39 +0930 (CST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Microsoft praises FreeBSD

In a moment of boredom at work I decided to run a search on microsoft.com for
"FreeBSD". It turned up references in two pages (both in pages relating to the
antitrust trial, so it's doubtful whether this is a "real" opinion of M$ or
just one cooked up to portray themselves as the underdog. For the Australians
reading this, I guess this would be a "non-core" opinion).

215.Another important variant of UNIX is "FreeBSD." As its name implies,
FreeBSD is indeed free of charge; it is a robust version of UNIX known best
for its high quality networking software. The source code is also freely
available under a license similar to that used by the Apache Web server, thus
enabling the FreeBSD developers to take advantage of the same "open source"
groundswell that Linux leverages. Like its more popular cousin Linux, FreeBSD
enjoys a growing population of users and developers who contribute to the
product.

I don't think this carries much weight given the context, but it's nonetheless
interesting.

Kris

-----
    -- Unknown