Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 08:25:51 -0800
From:      "Vladimir N. Silyaev" <vsilyaev@mindspring.com>
To:        Mark Santcroos <marks@ripe.net>
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VMware2 port fixes [was: Re: Linuxulator MFC and VMware]

Hi Mark, On Mon, Nov 12, 2001 at 07:23:36AM +0100, Mark Santcroos wrote:
> > >ps. does any of you run a -current guest in vmware2 on a -current host?
> > I'm aware about problems to run -current as a guest. My guess is that
> > when NEWSMP has been introduced, vmware uses slow patch to emulate CPU,
> > unfortunatly it could be confirmed/solved only by folks from VMWare.
>
> As vmware3 is out, vmware2 is probably not in development anymore by them
> so bugging them about it doesnt make sense anymore (probably).
The problem that VMware runs slow -current, has nothing to do with
FreeBSD host, I believe you should see the same behaviour while run
FreeBSD-current guest, under Windows/Linux host.

Yeah, I wish that VMWare willing to do any changes, in my expereince
they are not, the long lasting issues (mutliple vmware sessions
and full screen text mode) required just little changes in the vmware
code, but it was never done.

> Are you working or are you planning to work on the vmware3 port. I have
> made a patch for the vmware3 linux module that does the same thing as your
> vmware2 changes and the module now compiles and loads cleanly.
I haven't looked since early beta dates, from what I've learning, they
now want to open vmmon device several times per guest (that means
it could be cleany implemented only under -current).
Due to lack of time, I haven't chance to look into the 3.0 release.

--
Vladimir