Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 14:43:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jas@flyingfox.com (Jim Shankland)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ASUS SC200 SCSI card?

> I'm building up a couple of systems around the Asus P55T2P4
> mainboard and a P133 CPU.  I had planned on adding the Asus
> SC200 SCSI card, which is built around the NCR53C810; but the
> local computer shop recommended against that,
> saying that the SC200 must use IRQ0,

Wrong, by default it uses INT A, the motherboard decided where INT A
goes.  The SC-200 could care less.  The SC-200 can also be set by
jumper to use INT-B, C or D, but the P55T2P4 requires all cards to
use INT A.  The interrupt routing logic in the T2 chip set can route
INT A of each slot independently to a seperate IRQ.  IRQ0 above must
be a typo, that is the clock interrupt and is not even avalible to the
PCI bus interrupt routing logic.

> and that I will therefore have trouble if I
> try to run non-Microsoft operating systems.  I'm afraid I don't
> know enough about the PCI bus architecture even to know if this
> is gibberish or not.  (Hey, at least they know there *are*
> non-Microsoft OS's!)  I've also seen references to the NCR SCSI
> BIOS, but I'm unclear on whether this is an extra-cost option
> or not.
>
> Can anyone help shed some light here?

Your local computer shop doesn't have a clue, the ASUS SC-200 will
use any of the avaliable interrupts for PCI slots, the Award bios
on the P55T2P4 will assign each card it's own IRQ.  It will run
just fine with FreeBSD (and just about anything else out there).

I have qualified this motherboard running 4 SC-200's, it is part
of the my qualification testing.  (Also 4 2940's, and then a mixture
of DEC DC21x4x boards and scsi controllers, etc, etc).  In no case
was a shared IRQ setup by the BIOS when left set to it's defaults.

Only the first NCR controller will be reported by the BIOS, the others
will be found and initialized by FreeBSD.

This techical support provided for free by: