Date:      Sun, 4 May 1997 23:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      wes@bogon.net
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   i386/3502: Merge of if_ix* and if_ie* broke EE/16 support

>Number:         3502
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Merge of if_ix* and if_ie* broke EE/16 support
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Release:        FreeBSD 2.2-STABLE i386
>Environment:

P5-133; 128MB; Adaptec 2940 w/1GB SCSI, Plextor 12x CD-ROM, and Sony
920S 2x/2x CD-R; EE/16 network adaptor (leftovers from an old Win3.11
for Workstations package); IDE w/2GB IDE drive and Teac 8x ATAPI CD-ROM

After the merge of if_ix* and if_ie* and many subsequent kernel
compiles thereafter, any NFS write (e.g. file copy, file move) from
the machine with the updated kernel hangs the process.  Once the
process hangs, doing anything on that NFS mount hangs the process (ls,
umount, etc).

I've tried this on two machines with EE/16 cards with the same result
both times.  In each case, going back to the old kernel solved the
problem.

As a side note, I was able to copy files of about 5KB or less over and
the process didn't hang.  Anything larger though causes the problem.

>How-To-Repeat:

1)  Compile a kernel w/EE16 support on a machine with an EE/16.
2)  Install kernel.
3)  Update sysconfig to use ie0 instead of ix0.
4)  Reboot.
5)  Mount a writable NFS drive and try copying a largish file to it.

>Fix:

Dunno.  Could be something in NFS for all I know.  Maybe try
seperating if_ix* back out of if_ie* and see if the problem still
happens.