Date:      17 Jun 1999 15:50:10 +0300
From:      Ville-Pertti Keinonen <will@iki.fi>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vinum performance

grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey) writes:

> > You've accidentally striped subdisks on the same drive?  ;--)
> >
> > Like Greg Lehey said, you haven't really provided enough details.
>
> He did provide one detail, though; this is a concatenated plex, not a
> striped one.

Or he at least *thinks* it's concatenated.  ;--)  I didn't miss that -
but given numbers that bad, it sounds like there might be some really
silly mistake involved.

> > Many disks are shipped with write caching disabled, and write
> > performance can be significantly worse than read performance.
>
> Not if it works without Vinum.

My thought was that he might be comparing read performance and write
performance (they are often pretty close).  But even so, the
difference shouldn't be *that* big.