Date:      Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:13:59 +0200
From:      Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein@gmail.com>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Cannot access retail DVDs with external drive

Doug Barton wrote:
> Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > the following drive, when attached via USB (or Firewire) fails to do
> > _anything_ with retail DVDs. I can read burned CDs just fine, however.
> >
> > cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> > cd0: <PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-755A 1.06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
> > cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> > cd0: cd present [2042992 x 2048 byte records]
> >
> > (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ TOC/PMA/ATIP {MMC Proposed}. CDB: 43 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 c 0
> > (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
> > (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
> > (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST asc:24,0
> > (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Invalid field in CDB
> > (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable error
> >
> > This is with a recent kernel, and I'd like to know, if there are any
> > knobs I could/should try to debug this further.
>
> It was suggested recently that trying to access the DVD with something
> like mplayer first would do the magic that you require. You would need
> to do this with each new DVD that you insert.

This is strange, considering this is a data DVD and has no CSS code on
it, whatsoever. Are you sure, the mplayer things applies to non-video
DVDs, too?

I mean, even dd(1) on such media fails.

I wont get to it this weekend, but will try mplayer as you suggested,
thanks.

Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."