Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 06:15:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Ron Bolin <rlb@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux Netscape 3.01b Working Under Current?

On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Ron Bolin wrote:

> Does anyone have the Linux Netscape 3.0 or 3.01b working under current.
> I think this version (Linux) supports applets as the BSD version does
> not,
> at least my 3.0 version does not. Since I would like to get the applets
> working I would like to know it this works (of course one must have
> Linux
> compat) and the proper Linux Motif libs.
>
> Thank's in advance.
> -Ron

Just use the BSD version out of the ports collection.  Both 3.0 and 3.01b1
are in there.  Netscape 3.0 and higher support applets under BSD, but
there is a problem with the font dir that you need to take care of.  The
port will tell you to do this:

Note: If Java applets fail to display.  Type this as root:
                cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
                /usr/X11R6/bin/mkfontdir
                chmod 444 fonts.dir
      And then exit and restart your X server.

(you don't really need to restart the X server, just type:
	"xset fp rehash")

-- Jake