Date:      Sat, 26 Apr 1997 12:30:10 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        "Michael K. Sanders" <msanders@aros.net>
Cc:        dg@root.com, Christopher Sedore <cmsedore@mailbox.syr.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Router statistics

At 03:48 PM 4/25/97 -0600, Michael K. Sanders wrote:
>In message <3.0.32.19970425171236.00af5bb0@etinc.com>, dennis writes:
>>At 01:28 PM 4/24/97 -0700, David Greenman wrote:
>>>   Wcarchive does an average of 3500 pps with a peak of around 5000 pps.
The
>>>average data rate is around 20-25Mbps, with the machine around 50% idle.
This
>>>is using the Intel PCI Pro/100B...reduce the idle time to about 30% if
you're
>>>using a DEC/de card.
>>
>>Of importance to this stat....what is the machine CPU and speed? A
>>Pentium pro 200Mhz?
>
>230-Welcome to wcarchive - home ftp site for Walnut Creek CDROM.

>230-This machine is a 200MHz P6 with 512MB of memory & 106GB of disk online.
>230-The operating system is FreeBSD. Should you wish to get your own copy of
>230-FreeBSD, see the pub/FreeBSD directory, visit http://www.freebsd.org or
>230-mail to info@FreeBSD.org for more information.  FreeBSD on CDROM can be
>230-ordered using the WEB at http://www.cdrom.com/titles/os/freebsd.htm or by
>230-sending email to orders@cdrom.com.

"Yes" would have been adequate :-)

Now I assume that this machine has a rather heavy overhead with all of the
users
and disk activity....do you have any estimates of the impact of this on the
overall
networking throughput? Obviously the SCSI activity is going to suck up much
bus bandwidth.....

As for the Intel Pro/100B ...is this a 10/100MB device? Does it have separate
TP connectors, or 1? Are there any clones that are supported, or any versions
of it that are not supported?

Thanks,

Dennis