Date:      Mon, 7 Sep 1998 21:02:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jason@washington.edu>
To:        GenoWillis@aol.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ?? from a Newbie

On Mon, 7 Sep 1998 GenoWillis@aol.com wrote:

>I know so little about FreeBSD that I can hardly ask the questions.
>
>The ONLY think I do know about it is that everyone I've heard of that uses it
>refuse to even SAY the M$ word now.
>
>Where can I find out what programs and applications are available and how to
>start using them?   Where do I go to download FreeBSD?  Where do I go to learn
>how to use it?  I'm FAR from a whiz so don't start going geekish on me!  ;o)
>
>I know a little about MS W-3.1, W-95 and not enough Unix to even be able to
>spell it.
>
>If you do decide my questions are worthy of answering, please send me a
>personal copy as I might not be able to find my way back here again.

Did you ever go swimming in cold water? The best way to get used to it is
to dive right in.

http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html

I recommend that you buy "The Complete FreeBSD" by Greg Lehey if you are
complete beginner. You can order online at http:/www.cdrom.com/. You can
even get the CD/Book Bundle.

The applications that are available are far too many to list. Go to the
website and browse through the list of ports.

I was where you are about two years ago. I did not know the first lick
about unix. Now I am at least competent.

Please understand that while there is a steep learning curve, FreeBSD is
certainly worth the effort.

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/