Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 13:29:20 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        nordwick@scam.xcf.berkeley.edu (Jason Nordwick)
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sound card

> I am finally breaking down and getting a sound card and I want to make
> sure that I get a good one that operates well on FBSD.  Are there
> any suggestions?

if you "only" want full duplex audio (no synth etc.)  my suggestion
is to get a WSS clone, e.g. Yamaha, A/Open AW35, or OPTI931. All
these work fine with my "pcm" driver.

> I have heard there is two sets of drivers (kinda like the CAM project
> way it is being developed).  Is this true, what is the difference, which
> should I use, if so?

the "pcm" driver is easier to configure and works well with full duplex
cards. The other one has support for synth and wavetable but less
compatible with newer cards.

	cheers
	luigi