Date:      Mon, 6 Jul 1998 22:46:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Muir Sharnoff <muir@idiom.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommended SCSI Drives

In article <6mq4im$guu$1@news.idiom.com> spork@super-g.com writes:

>Being a big fan of trying to keep drives at room temperature while
>sticking as many as I can in a colo machine that has to be small, I'd love
>to see a picture of the box you described below.  For a long time we
>shopped for "the ultimate PC enclosure" and it was always give and take.
>Room for drives, horrid airflow.  Great airflow, room for two drives.
>Grrr.
>
>Anyone else here need to stuff lots of machines in a small space?  What
>case do you use?  How do you keep things cool?

I've got a possible solution for keeping drives cool: lots of fans.
I've found a little device that you put in front of your drive instead
of the normal plastic faceplate.  It has two little fans in it.
Costs about $10.

I've now got the disks for my main server (idiom.com) in an external
enclosure.  Four disks.  Eleven fans.  (One on the power supply, two
in the enclosure, and eight little ones right in front of the disks).

I got mine from Wetex (http://www.wetex.com).

The part number is FAN-HDD-CK2.

-Dave