Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 23:05:48 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>
To:        Jason DiCioccio <Jason.DiCioccio@Epylon.com>
Cc:        "'Kris Kennaway'" <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>, Mark Zielinski <markz@2cactus.com>, cjclark@alum.mit.edu, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Read-Only Filesystems

On Wed, Dec 20, 2000 at 06:05:58PM -0800, Jason DiCioccio wrote:

> The only way I could think of to do his securely in the current
> implementation is to chflags most of the etc dir (with the exception
> of files that did need to be cahnged like passwd master.passwd
> aliases, etc.).. mainly the rc files.. but this makes administering
> remotely a pain in the ass.. Of course, security in many cases comes
> with a hassle factor.

Hmmm... I was thinking that this would not be possible, to schg files
in /etc and still be able to use passwd(1), but provided that / is
schg, I can't seem to figure out how to mess with files in /etc with
schg. I was thinking I could fsdb(8) /etc, but I can't mess with a
mounted FS?! That's no fun!

I still think there is a way around this... Anyone know it? I'm tired
of reading 'Operation not permitted' as I try this out.