Date:      Mon, 20 Nov 2000 11:29:28 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        FreeBSD Filter <freebsd@KIWI-Computer.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removal of Disklabel (was: Re: Dangerously Dedicated)

> > That's not good enough.  The PC architecture limits us to 4-total
> > partitions, which isn't good enough.  It's not even good enough for M$,
> > so they invented 'extended partitions, which is a M$-only feature.
>
> Just because microsnot invented it doesn't mean they're the only ones using
> it.  Linux does, and I'm sure others do too.

Linux is the *only* OS that I'm aware that follows M$ lead.  I think
it's that way because initially most of the Linux developers were M$
users, whereas most of the BSD developers were unix users who wanted to
run a real OS on their PC.  Totally different perspectives.

(I for one would be *very* annoyed to see FreeBSD change it's disk
format to be more M$-like, since it would be a gratiutious that would
cause endless grief for existing installations, and it's bowing even
more to M$.)

Nate