Date:      26 Sep 1996 11:36:34 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        dubois@primate.wisc.edu (Paul DuBois), current@FreeBSD.org, commercial@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Licensing Software

Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org> writes:

> This value is, in fact, *more* spoofable than an IP address, since
> if I use the ifconfig interface to get the IP address, and I hack
> the interface to spoof the license manager, I break my networking
> because it will also spoof ifconfig (and netsta -i, etc.).

But, unless I've missed a reply somewhere no-one's addressed the
problem of dynamically allocated ip addresses for dial-up accounts.

I swap ethernet cards all the time from my development box, I'd be
really pissed off if I couldn't use licensed products in my
development environment. It's also a problem for a dial-up machine
that won't have a MAC address.

Anyway, I agree 110% with Jordan, nailing a product to a machine is
really evil and I won't buy products that require that type of
licensing. In a server environment it's really stupid anyway. All the
Sun workstations at work have minimal disk and all products are on the
fileserver. Which workstation you actually run the product on varies.
All the licensed products we currently have on our server here use
FLEXlm and they're concurrent user based licensing not location based.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155