Date:      Fri, 6 Aug 1999 17:20:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/13002: attempt to switch to console from snes9x/X11 fullscreen mode locks syscons

The following reply was made to PR kern/13002; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Lee Cremeans <lcremeans@erols.com>
To: Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 20:13:35 -0400

 On Sat, Aug 07, 1999 at 08:52:45AM +0900, Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:

 > First, I would like to point out that when the X server is running, it
 > is the X server which is in control of vt switching, not syscons.
 > Therefore, when you are unable to switch from the X server to a text
 > vty, it means that the X server is somehow refusing vt switching;
 > syscons can do nothing in this situation.

 All righty...

 > However, you seem to be having difficulty even after you quit snes9x.
 > Would you describe some more details?  When you quit snes9x, do you
 > also quit the X server and drop to the text console from which you
 > started the X server and snes9x?

 When I quit snes9x and shut down X in this case, I go to the console, but
 xdm never restarts and there's a field of white-on-blue garbage covering the
 bottom half to 3/4 of the screen. Keys seem to work (I was able to use
 Ctrl-Alt-Del), but you can't see anything.

 > >>How-To-Repeat:
 > >Run snes9x with the -y switch (you have to be root or have snes9x setuid
 > >for this to work, since it wants /dev/mem), then switch to fullscreen mode
 > >with PrtSc, try to switch to console 1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1), then quit snes9x and
 > >try again -- it'll refuse to work.
 >
 > What is actually happening when you say "it'll refuse to work"?

 It'll refuse to switch back to the console -- it's like the key combination
 is being ignored.

 > What if you do NOT hit Ctl-Alt-F1 while snes9x is running and quit
 > snes9x and the X server?

 In this case, everything works fine; I can switch back to the vty with no
 trouble, and also restart X without it getting stuck.

 -lee