Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:00:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: conf/33149: small change in /etc/periodic/*/999.local

The following reply was made to PR conf/33149; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To: Jan Srzednicki <winfried@ikar.pl>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 14:52:47 -0800

 On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 02:26:11PM -0000, Jan Srzednicki wrote:
 [snip]

 > The /etc/periodic/*/999.local script will only allow to run a sh script.
 > Suerly you can put other scripts in cron, but I think it would be nice to
 > have such scripts run via periodic.conf (and receive daily reports from
 > in one mail).

 As stated in the comments for the 999.local script, it only really
 exists for back compatibilty with /etc/daily.local.

 For the functionality you desire, the recommended way to go is to use
 functionality built into periodic(8). Drop your "scripts" into
 /usr/local/etc/periodic/daily/. The "script" may be any executable
 file and not just a shell script.

 Since this is the preferred and supported way to do this and it has
 the functionality you desire, unless you have further argument why the
 support is also needed in 999.local, I'll close up the PR in a day or
 two.
 --
 "It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."