Date:      Fri, 9 May 2003 10:33:01 -0400
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   MPI350 problems

I've been using my Cisco MPI350 wireless mini pci card in my IBM X30
since Doug A. committed fixes for it working through suspend/resume
quite happily ... until yesterday. I tried to switch from wired to
wireless and the machine hung. This had happened once before when I
returned from work and had forgotten to remove the work wireless
configuration before suspending, but this time I'd done nothing odd. I
havn't used the wireless card too much recently since the machine has
sat in it's docking station at home a lot of the time.

Changes I've made recently have been under XP (upgrading the cisco
card driver and firmware - but it failed before the firmware update)
the BIOS for the machine (but backing out the BIOS update hasn't
improved matters) and updating to today's -STABLE.

If I try and use (send packets over it, or even ifconfig -a once the
interface is up and configures) the MPI350 card now I get RID
read/write failures (after a long pause of the machine being
completely unresponsive). It works long enough to get an IP address
via DHCP most of the time, then hangs for a long time, gives RID
errors and then comes back to life until the next time I try to access
the interface.

I've tried backing out as many changes as I can find, including going
back to a -STABLE kernel as of over a month ago with no change.

The errors I've seen are;

  an0: <Cisco Aironet MPI350> port 0x6000-0x60ff mem
    0xd0400000-0xd07fffff,0xd0200000-0xd0203fff irq 5 at device 2.0 on pci1
  an0: got RSSI <-> dBM map
  an0: Ethernet address: 00:02:8a:29:7b:45
[..]
  an0: failed to write RID 1 ff11 ff11 68 1000 2, 60
  an0: failed to set ssid list
  an0: failed to read RID ff50 0 8800 1000 2, 3
  an0: failed to read RID ff50 0 8800 1000 2, 3
  an0: failed to read RID ff50 0 8800 1000 2, 3
  an0: failed to read RID ff11 0 8800 1000 2, 3

The 350 pcmcia card I have works just fine. The MPI350 works just fine
under XP. The other mini pci card I have works on in the slot under
BSD.

This smells like an irq/memory conflict to me, but I've moved the irq
config as much as I can (so it shares an irq with as little as it can)
and moved other things around to no benefit whatsoever and 'vmstat -i'
doesn't show an irq storm.

Any clues ?

P.

--