Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 22:15:23 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, Ian Grigg <iang@systemics.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Chan & Lee books"

> # No Swing either, but there are *NO* good books on Swing, given that the
> # final release was made about a month ago.
>
> I beg to differ.  Besides some pretty good (albeit dated) stuff
> on the java website, I have six books on the JFC (Swing).  Three
> of which happen to be pretty good.
>
> Core Java Foundation Classes by Kim Topley, Prentice Hall, 1998,
> ISBN 0130803014.

This is the best of the three, but is out of date with respect to
JDK1.2.

> Graphic Java 1.2: Mastering the JFC: AWT (Java Series), Prentice
> Hall, 1998, ISBN 0130796662.

I saw this, but didn't like it much.

> Java Swing by Robert Eckstein, Marc Loy, Dave Wood, O'Reilly &
> Associates, 1998, ISBN 156592455X.
>
> I happen to like the last one the most, but then again I really
> value almost every book I have that was published by the good
> folks at O'Reilly. :)

If this is the same O'Reilly book that I saw on Swing, I thought it was
worthless.  I used to think that everything they published was gold, but
as of late I think they're putting out a lesser product.  Unfortunately,
this is to be expected given the volume of the stuff they crank out now.

As I stated before, any Swing book you get will be out of date due to
the latest Swing release.  The changes between Swing 1.0.3 and Swing1.1
are pretty significant.  Almost as much as the changes between JDK1.0
and JDK1.1.

Nate