Date:      Sun, 22 Mar 1998 20:28:19 -0600
From:      Karl Denninger  <karl@mcs.net>
To:        Christian Kuhtz <chk@eng.bellsouth.net>
Cc:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, root@danberlin.resnet.rochester.edu, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Subject:   Re: CURRENT Kernel Status

On Sun, Mar 22, 1998 at 09:21:21PM -0500, Christian Kuhtz wrote:
> > jfs is a monstrous pig for some uses however (its allocation size is larger
> > than ffs) and for that reason its useless for things like news servers - but
> > for regular applications its fantastic.
>
> Actually, that has changed in AIX4 when AIX learned about fragments.  And if
> memory serves, allocation sizes/blocks were always tunable even before that.
> Now that you have fragments in JFS, and it makes life a whole lot nicer.

Aha..  They finally fixed that.

> > I hated AIX when I had to work with it, but the one thing you simply
> > couldn't argue with was their jfs filesystem.
>
> The AIX learning curve is tough.  The nice thing to me is that they really
> tried to get to a point where you never have to suspend operations (Sun's
> famous Stop-A kludge) or reboot to run your box and adopt to changes in your
> environment or failures thereof.

Yep.

Actually, the learning curve isn't that bad - if you know System V (which
AIX really is very close to internally).

I used to do all kinds of neat things with it, like displaying system status
and load on the LEDs on the front of the machines..... I used RS6000s as
"non-stop" servers in a production environment back at VideOcart, and absent
a really severe hardware failure they pretty much just kept going, and
going...

There were some nasty security problems with certain releases, and horrid
performance trouble with the Ethernet cards for a while (including
memory leaks in the mbuf cluster code) which IBM took forever and a day
to fix... that wasn't impressive at all.  All the "quick recovery" features
aren't worth crap if the OS is full of bugs.

But I still liked the jfs filesystems.

Karl Denninger (karl@MCS.Net)| MCSNet - Serving Chicagoland and Wisconsin
http://www.mcs.net/          | T1's from $600 monthly / All Lines K56Flex/DOV