Date:      Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:40:05 -0500
From:      The Anarcat <anarcat@anarcat.ath.cx>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing Sendmail

--umrsQkkrw7viUWFs

On Wed Apr 02, 2003 at 02:29:30PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
>=20
> > I really think splitting the base in some sub-parts would it make much=
=20
> > easier to do NO_SENDMAIL on my own. So I had to remove each not require=
d=20
> > file separately. That's no good solution.
>=20
>  [stepping back a bit ]
>=20
> I find an odd situation here whenever this topic comes up.  One the
> one hand, people are always wanting to split the entire base system
> up into small packages for each little piece of the base.  On the
> other hand, one of FreeBSD's selling points in real-world environments
> is that it doesn't have a bunch of little packages for the base system
> like Linux distros.  Do people really prefer something like having
> rpm's for /bin/ps to having one lump base dist for all of /bin, /sbin,
> etc.?

Those two aren't necessarly in contradiction. We could provide a
myriad of small packages and a "wrapper package" containing them all.

Debian has "tasks" to deal with this, it's a meta package that solely
depend on other packages. We could do something similar, or even
better: make a meta package that actually embeds the other package
files.

No I don't have any patches.

A.

--=20
Advertisers, not governments, are the primary censors of media content=20
in the United States today.
                        - C. Edwin Baker
                        http://www.ad-mad.co.uk/quotes/freespeech.htm

--umrsQkkrw7viUWFs