Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 19:34:08 +0100
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (was Discussion : Using DHCP) - Now 'Config Databases'

Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:

> Karl Pielorz wrote
>
> Ok - granted - Maybe we should be more concerned with 'applications'
> corrupting the database - and if so have a nicer way to correct it (Ok, read
> - 'anyway' to correct it) unlike Windows '95 / NT - in which the registry is
> largely seen as an unindexed black whole...
>
>         more than once i have damaged my computer's configuration
>         enough that i was unable to complete booting.
>         only being able to edit the flatfiels saved me from having
>         to rip out the internal disk and connect that disk to
>         another machine.
>
>         any registry or LDAP database or what have you, needs
>         an ascii "save my ass please" mode.
>
>         without that its a great leap backward into the abyss ;)
> jmb

I'll second that... So whatever we end up with has to be runnable in a
pretty 'minimal' environment... ;-) - i.e. the back end of a 1.44Mb fixit
disk... <g>

I'm still not too sure I like the idea of 'binary' databases... One of the
reasons I love unix at the moment is you can mostly pull it to bits with vi
- I guess so long as we don't loose site of that (i.e. with good export /
import stuff etc.) it should be OK...

Kp