Date:      Sat, 22 Sep 2001 21:15:46 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Michael Collette <metrol@earthlink.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD <freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Same old pccard probs

In message <20010922234426.7F89537B40B@hub.freebsd.org> Michael Collette writes:
:   I know I reported back saying all was well here.  It was for a little
: while, with things acting as I thought they should for a couple of days.
: Then the ed0 timeouts started coming back, dhclient errors, and I'm still not
: shutting down properly.

OK.  I'm not sure I understand the sequence of events here.  You are
using ISA interrupts, yes?  If so, then you are using the same
interrupt as something else and need to pick another one.  If you are
using PCI, read on...

:   It hasn't been a big deal as everything has been working properly aside
: from what amount to some pretty minor glitches.  The dhclient errors claim
: there's some type of error in the script, but it does properly assign all the
: attributes needed for a connection.  The ed0 timeouts show up 3 times upon
: the first usage of the ethernet, then never again.  Lastly, though I'm not
: seeing the proper shutdown message, it's getting far enough along to safely
: bring down my laptop.  There's nothing that's a show stopper, but it just
: ain't right either.

Ah, the ed driver has a problem if dhclient runs too quickly.  You'll
see timeouts (or if you are unlucky, hangs).  dhclient often gives me
an error sometimes when I run it (Can't assign requested address).
The reboot problem is "known" to happen on some machines with some
cards (or on some machines ALL cards, no rhyme or reason that I can
see between working and non-working systems).

:   I can say with some degree of confidence that the shutdown problem is
: related to pccardd.  I experimented with this by pulling the card out,
: starting up the laptop, futzing around for a bit, then shutting down.  The
: shutdown works perfectly in that scenario.  With the card in, it stops
: immediately after reporting the uptime during either a 'halt' or 'reboot'.

Others have reported this as well, and I've seen it on one of my
CL-PD6729/30 systems.  Others have reported it on their TI-1420 and
Ricoh R4F475 based machines.

:   I tried a buildworld from a cvsup from last night just to see if I'd missed
: something.  Nope, no difference.  In reading some of the other posts on this
: list, it seems that there's some other folks with very similar sets of bugs
: being reported.  If there's any information I can provide from this end to
: assist with this please let me know.

Well, the ed0 timeout errors from dhclient can be eliminated with the
latest pccard_ether, since I put a small delay in there to "fix" this
problem.

Warner