Date:      Fri, 8 Feb 2002 18:58:51 +0100
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        cameron grant <gandalf@vilnya.demon.co.uk>
Subject:   Griffin iMic (was Re: Recording on ICH)

cameron grant said on Feb  7, 2002 at 19:49:52:
> > What would be the best solution against things like this (having
> > multiple incompatible channels)?
>
> this is fixed in -current by creating /dev/dsprX.Y devices which refer to
> specific recording channels.  it will be mfc'd soon.

I'm having a problem which sounds similar, perhaps it's related?

I'm trying to use the Griffin iMic USB audio device
(http://www.griffintechnology.com/audio/imic_main.html).  This device
works perfectly for me with linux (except that it doesn't support full
duplex, but I'm not sure it's supposed to).

With FreeBSD I tried the USB audio patch at
   http://www.mars.sphere.ne.jp/navi/uaudio/
which I was pointed to on this list.  It works for audio output but
not for input.  On linux, when I insert it, two mixer devices get
registered (/dev/sound/mixer and /dev/sound/mixer1), the former for
PCM output and the other for mic input, and I can read or write to
/dev/sound/dsp.  On freebsd, I can't read from /dev/dsp and there is
only one mixer device, the PCM output one, no recording device.

In addition, it's terribly unstable -- every now and then it causes a
kernel panic, which is in particular triggered by removing the device
when sound output is going on, but can happen otherwise too apparently
randomly.  I guess it's a problem with the USB audio driver.  I don't
really know how to investigate this further (I can take a kernel crash
dump and run kgdb on it but I can't understand the results).  I did
email the author on the above webpage.  (It's perfectly stable on linux.)

Thanks - Rahul